Places to Amtrak to in 2016
With over #500Destinations on the Amtrak system, there’s plenty of places to plan exciting adventures to this year. Read on to check out some of our top Amtrak-served cities:
1) New York: The city that never sleeps has tons to do, like ice skating in Rockefeller Center or checking out the eateries and shops of SoHo. Hop on a Northeast Regional, Acela, or Lake Shore Limited to get to NYC in time for the latest Broadway play.
3) Los Angeles: The City of Angels is the perfect getaway for gorgeous ocean views and tasty tacos. Pull into the famous LA Union Station and enjoy a cocktail at Traxx while enjoying the Art Deco architecture before heading out to see the Santa Monica Pier.
4) Austin: Austin’s vibe is unique in the Lone Star State. You’ll find cowboys and cattle, but plenty of off-the-wall adventures in the South Congress neighborhood with shops like Uncommon Objects, then tuck into some traditional Tex Mex at Papalote. The Texas Eagle takes you there with time to spare.
5) Chicago: Chi Town is always a good time. Whether it’s stunning views on the Ferris wheel at Navy Pier or deep dish pizza at Lou Malinati’s, there’s something for everyone in this majestic Midwest city. All roads (or rails) lead to Chicago since it’s one of our busiest stations.
6) Whitefish, Montana: One of our most popular scenic stops, Whitefish has plenty to do and see in the great outdoors. It’s just past Glacier National Park on the Empire Builder, making this route a must-do for all your outdoor adventurers.
9) Washington, D.C.: The nation’s capitol has lots to do and see, from moonlight monument tours to places like Eastern Market for fresh produce and local crafts, you’ll have fun checking out DC’s personality behind the politics. The Northeast Regional and Acela takes you (and plenty of congressmen and women) there in a flash.
10) Portland: Find out what Keeps Portland Weird by checking out this west coast community filled with personality. We especially recommend taking the Portland Tram to VooDoo Donuts for a spellbinding snack. The Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, and Amtrak Cascades get you there with plenty of Instagram-worthy #AmtrakViews along the way.
Where are we taking you in 2016? Let us know in the comments below!