First Time Train Tips
At Amtrak we believe in value, reliability, comfort and convenience. Whether it’s a cross country adventure to new destinations, or a familiar but quick commute to and from the office, we’re ready to take you where you need to go. Although we’ve been America’s Railroad since 1971, some have yet to experience the magic of train travel. Are you one of them? No worries. We’ve got the top 10 tips you need for taking Amtrak like a pro.
- The Amtrak System: Where can we take you? To over 500 destinations big and small. From city center to city center or small towns to down town, we can do everything from take you home for Thanksgiving with the family in Kewanee to the latest Broadway show in New York. Check out a map of the system to start your #AmtrakAdventure planning.
- Choose your own adventure: Short trip? Commute? Cross country adventure? Why choose? We’ve got trains that do it all, from a comfy roomette or bedroom that takes you all across the country, to the Acela that races you up and down the Northeast Corridor.
- How to Book: Booking with us is a snap. You can either visit amtrak.com or download are easy to use app. Of course, visiting the station for in-person service from the counter or Quik Track kiosk is an option at most stations. Click here for a full run down of booking options.
- Baggage Policy: We’ve got one of the best baggage policies in the business. Check out this post for all the details (including new bike services!)
- Amtrak App: Have we mentioned how handy our app is? Book tickets, check a train status, or go paperless with our mobile app, available for download on Android, iPhone or Windows Phone.
- What to eat: Whether it’s a menu of fine dining hand selected by Michelin-rated chefs on Acela, a delicious steak with mashed potatoes in a cross country dining car, or champagne as you sit in the Observation Car taking in the sweet views, you’ll never go hungry with us.
- What to do: Train time is your time. Catch up on the latest best sellers, sketch, daydream, or make a new friend. Enjoy the journey that takes you away from the hustle and bustle of life.
- Make memories: A cross country #AmtrakAdventure would be the perfect honeymoon. Or maybe a great mother/daughter bonding trip. Why not take your besties on a train down to New Orleans for a bachelorette weekend. Wherever the destination, you’ll make memories and share experiences that last a lifetime on Amtrak.
- Enjoy the amenities: With the most legroom of any transportation option, dual outlets at every seat, a brand new pet pilot program, bike service, or Red Caps to carry your baggage, we’re focused on making sure our customers experience the best in comfort and service.
- How to share: Make your friends jealous with the sweet Instagram views of Glacier National Park, or the Rockies at sunset. Be sure to tag us #Amtrak @amtrak to be featured in our feed!
All aboard, Amtrak first-timers.