Top Memorial Weekend Travel Picks for 2015
Memorial Day is a time to give thanks to our nation’s men and women who have given their lives in military service.
It’s also a time when family and friends get together for the long weekend to enjoy quality time and some of the many events planned nationwide.
Below are a few expected (and not-so-expected!) events that Amtrak can take you to:
1) Washington, D.C.: The National Memorial Day Concert is an annual tradition on the West Lawn of the Capitol. Enjoy the sounds of the National Symphony Orchestra and guest celebrity appearances while taking in the sights of the National Mall.
Amtrak routes: Northeast Regional, Capitol Limited.
2) Los Angeles: The four day Garden Grove Strawberry Festival centers around — you guessed it — the strawberry! Strawberry-themed snacks, a Strawberry Idol karaoke contest and a Berry Beautiful Baby Pageant make this fruity fair one to check out May 22-25.
Amtrak routes: Coast Starlight, Pacific Surfliner.
3) Miami: Urban Beach Week is a much-anticipated weekend beach bash featuring hip hop heavy-weights with collaborating events from local clubs in the Miami area. Beach and music lovers are sure to enjoy the festivities with friends for a weekend of fun in the sun.
Amtrak routes: Silver Service/Palmetto.
4) Chicago: Memorial Day isn’t Memorial Day without the patriotic trifecta of fireworks, beaches and BBQ. Fortunately, the Windy City has all three on tap for the holiday weekend. Twenty six miles of lakefront beaches open up on Memorial Day weekend, the Navy Pier kicks off their summer evening firework shows,and the Westmont Lions Club hosts their annual Red, White and Blue BBQ competition just in time for locals and out-of-towners looking for a traditional Memorial Day experience.
Amtrak routes: Capitol Limited, Michigan Services.
5) Seattle: For the active Memorial Day revelers out there, the Electric Run is a 5k where participants are encouraged to add glow sticks, LED lights, neon and sparkles to their running outfits to make the night-time run colorful and bright. Themed courses make for a unique experience as you and your friends sweat it out while having fun.
Amtrak routes: Coast Starlight, Cascades.
What’s your go-to Memorial Day event? Tell us in the comments below!