Scenic train rides are awesome for novice and pro photographers because they allow for capturing breathtaking photos along the journey. Jordan Oram, known as the Maple Musketeer to his followers, recently took one such trip. "I teach, I speak, I ramble, and adventure," says the guitarist and photographer. Lucky for us, he also likes taking the train!
Here is Jordan's recent excursion on our Coast Starlight from Seattle to Los Angeles told through 7 mind-blowing photos.
1. Early in his trip, Jordan captured this melancholy view as his train crossed over the Columbia River. The Columbia River basin comprises some 260,000 square miles, from its headwaters in British Columbia, Canada, to its mouth at Astoria, Ore., bordering Washington and Oregon.
2. The scenery along the Coast Starlight route is unsurpassed. The dramatic snow-covered peaks of the Cascade Range and Mount Shasta, lush forests, fertile valleys and long stretches of Pacific Ocean shoreline provide a stunning backdrop for the journey.
3. Along the 1,377-mile route, passengers traverse steep mountain ranges, explore rolling, gentle valleys and skirt along the beautiful sandy shores of the Pacific Ocean. The scenery is breathtaking, the cities are unique, and the history is fascinating.
4. The name "Coast Starlight" is derived from the former Southern Pacific Coast Daylight, the premier daytime train. The Starlight was an overnight all-coach train between San Francisco and Los Angeles.
5. The Pacific parlour car is a feature available for sleeping car passengers who want to stretch out and enjoy the spectacular views in comfort. This newly refurbished car features coffee and bar service, wine and cheese tasting, and an onboard theater.
6. The sightseer lounge is the perfect car for scenic viewing like this. Large panoramic windows and informal seating provide the perfect atmosphere for sightseeing and chatting with fellow passengers.
7. The dining car is a great place to meet fellow passengers and enjoy a delicious meal while the scenery glides by your window. Sleeping car accommodations include meals in the dining car while passengers ticketed in coach may purchase dining car meals separately.
Have you traveled on our Coast Starlight before? If so, what was your favorite part of the trip? Tell us in the comments below!
All Photos by Jordan Oram
Read More All Aboard!: Freedom at Her (Instagram) Fingertips