Book Your Thanksgiving Travel Now
Every year we carry hundreds of thousands of customers home for the Thanksgiving holiday. To ensure we are ready to move America where it needs to go this Thanksgiving, we are operating every available passenger rail car in our fleet and scheduling extra trains and adding capacity on routes across the Amtrak system. Even with added capacity, tickets sell out early, so we encourage you to plan ahead and book your tickets as soon as possible for the best availability and pricing.
The busiest travel days are the Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the Sunday after the holiday. This year, avoid the rush and arrive 45 minutes before your train is scheduled to depart. Other than Thanksgiving Day, morning trains typically have more availability than those in the afternoon and evening.
We’re also giving our trains a refresh just in time for the Thanksgiving holiday. Several trains, including the Northeast Regional, will have new seat cushions, carpeting, curtains, and refreshed restrooms.
Extra Service and Added Capacity
If you’re traveling with us the week of Thanksgiving, here’s where we’ve made some additions:
- Northeast Regional: Washington, D.C., to Boston via cities like Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City, and New Haven. We’ve added additional trains that will operate between Boston, New York City and Washington, D.C. during the week of Thanksgiving to ensure you make it to your holiday festivities and still get home in time for work on Monday.
- Acela Express: Want to travel home in style? We’re extending some Acela Express service during the week of Thanksgiving with additional frequencies and capacities from Washington, D.C. through New York City, all the way north to Boston.
- Pennsylvanian: Connects New York City to Pittsburgh.
- Keystone Service: Connects New York City and Harrisburg, PA. by way of Philadelphia.
- Illinois Zephyr:/Carl Sandburg: Connects Chicago, Quincy, IL. and Carbondale, with extra capacity to most Midwest destinations.
- Lincoln Service: Connects Chicago and St. Louis, MO.
- Hiawatha Service: Connects Chicago and Milwaukee, WI. A reservation will be required from Tuesday, November 21, to Monday, November 27.
- Wolverine Service: Connects Chicago to Pontiac, Mich. via Detroit.
- Piedmont: Connects Charlotte to Raleigh, NC.
- Carolinian: Connects Charlotte to New York City.
- Capitol Corridor: Connects Auburn, CA to San Jose.
- San Joaquin: Connects Oakland/Sacramento to Bakersfield, CA.
- Pacific Surfliner: Connects San Luis Obispo to San Diego A reservation will be required from Wednesday, November 22, to Sunday, November 26.
Amtrak employees across our system are gearing up to provide the kind of superior service you deserve as you travel to connect with friends and family for the holiday. We are honored to be a part of your family’s Thanksgiving tradition.