See the Southwest in Style on the Texas Eagle
Want to experience the best of Texas BBQ? Or watch clouds float across the watercolor deserts of New Mexico? See the sun-drenched shores of California? Well, we’ve got the train for you. All aboard the Texas Eagle to explore some of America’s most stunning Southwest cities. Below is a sampling of stops that we can take you to for food, fun and unique adventures.
Little Rock, Arkansas
- River Market: Stroll along the water and stop by to visit a bevy of shops and eating stops to get a true taste of Little Rock. From delicious pies to Arkansas BBQ, it’s a bustling center of activity for the 25th state of the Union.
- Arkansas River Trail: Grab a bike and cruise along the Arkansas River line while enjoying a breathtaking view of the city skyline. You’ll see locals and tourists alike using the trail to bike or walk to different points along the city.
- William J. Clinton Presidential Library: Peep President Clinton’s saxophone, or a replica of the Oval Office while he was at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Interactive exhibits and hundreds of materials from 8 years of presidency are on display for all to see.
- The Driskill Hotel: Built in 1886, this historic Austin gem is nestled downtown with tons of atmosphere. Locals recommended sipping on a Texas Orange Blossom cocktail and soaking in the history of one of Austin’s most stately hotels.
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center: This lush botanical garden named in honor of Texas’ famous First Lady is perfect for a Sunday afternoon stroll. See butterflies float between vivid violets and stunning sunflowers while you learn about the importance of local ecology.
- SoCo District: This quirky cluster of unique shops and eats is a local favorite. Check out antique bookstores or retro fashions while stopping by taco food trucks for some authentic Southwest fare.
Deming, New Mexico
- City of Rocks State Park: These unique volcanic rock formations make for a stunning state park. Photogs and Instagrammers alike will revel in the out-of-this-world views perfect for capturing at sunset.
- St. Clair Winery: Sip a Pinot Noir while watching the sun set on the Mesas. As New Mexico’s largest winery, St. Clair has many varietals and snacks to nosh on as you relax and unwind.
- Basin Range Volcanics Geolapidary Museum: New Mexico’s unique history of volanic activity means it has some hidden gems (literally). Kids will love this museum full of sparkling geodes to ooh and ahh over.
- Franklin Auto Museum: Check out this unique museum for car buffs and auto appreciators alike. Ride through automobile history from as early as 1905, and check out the gleaming paint jobs and fancy craftsmanship of a bygone era.
- Saguaro National Park: U.S. News Travel ranks this national park as one of the best spots to visit and see the beauty of the Southwest. From majestic cacti to wildflower sprinkled desert scenes, this park is a must on your Arizona to-do list. For more info on our services to national park lands and potential discounts, click here.
- El Charro Cafe: Check out this Tex Mex institution with mouthwatering enchiladas and homemade pork tamales. Or nosh on perfectly battered chile rellenos and cinnamon sugar-dusted sopasillas.
Palm Springs, California
- Purple Room Supper Club: This joint hearkens back to the days of Frank Sinatra and other Rat Packers with live shows featuring Elvis and Judy Garland impersonators. It’s a kitschy way to experience Palm Springs’ history as a Hollywood hideaway for many silver screen stars looking to escape Los Angeles.
- Tahquitz Canyon: This natural wonder has plenty of rock formations to scramble over with the kids, or take a dip in the natural wading pools with waterfalls to boot. Knowledgeable ranger guides provide some cultural history such on local Indian tribes in the area.
- Cheeky’s: Rumor has it that Cheeky’s has some of the best breakfast in town. There’s even a bacon flight for meat candy aficionados, and fresh farmer’s fruit to start. There’s a wait, but locals and visitors alike say its worth it.
Pumped for an #AmtrakAdventure? Well pack your cowboy boots and hop aboard this cross country train that features comfortable roomettes and bedrooms, mouthwatering meals, friendly staff that takes care of all your travel needs, and the best part: views of America you can’t see anywhere but from our tracks. Head over to our deals page to see the latest cross country discounts and plan your fun, easy and affordable travel with us. Yeehaw!