Rover Come On Over. Pets Welcome Aboard Amtrak
At Amtrak we are always looking for ways to improve your experience with us. That is why after testing several successful pet pilot programs across the country, we are excited to announce that Amtrak now welcomes small cats and dogs on even more of the Amtrak system.
Your furry family members can join you on your next #AmtrakAdventure aboard the Northeast Regional and nine other regional routes: Amtrak Cascades, Downeaster, Hiawatha Service, Illinois services, Michigan Services, Missouri River Runner and Springfield Shuttles. But wait, that’s not all! If you are looking to explore one of the more than 500 destinations our cross country trains serve with Fido or Whiskers, you’re in luck. Our pets on trains policy now includes coach service on all cross country routes excluding the Auto Train.
For the comfort of your pet, there are a few things you need to know before booking your next trip with your pet:
- You must book your ticket by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL or at an Amtrak ticket counter
- Pet parents will be charged $25 to travel with their furry friends
- Pets in carriers must weigh 20 pounds or less
- Pets must be placed under pet parent’s seat at all time during trip
- Trips with pets may not exceed seven hours in length
As we look for ways to further expand the pets on trains program, we are excited to announce that pets are now allowed on Acela Express service on the weekends and holidays. Head here for details.