How to Get Text Alerts for Your Train
When you book a ticket, you have the option to receive text alerts straight to your mobile device. These alerts send updates of delays right to the palm of your hand.
Here’s how text alerts work:
- When you book your tickets at Amtrak.com, click to receive text alerts and put in the number to the phone you will be traveling with. It has to be a U.S. number for the system to work. And, of course, normal carrier fees apply to all the texts you receive.
- For each reservation you make, you can choose how far in advance of your departure you want to be notified. Just select a time from 30 minutes to 3 hours in advance. Expert Advice: If you’re taking a short trip (less than 3 hours), select the 30 or 45 minute alert option.
- If you’re taking a longer trip (more than 3 hours), select the 1, 2 or 3 hour alert option.
- If there’s a schedule change or major service disruption, we’ll contact you separately from your text alert to tell you about itinerary changes.
Now that you understand how the system works, there’s just a few important points to remember:
- If you book your reservation within 5 hours of departure, you’re not eligible for text alerts.
- Also, the text alert will text you once. It will not continually notify you once you are on your train. If you want to check your train status while you’re traveling, just download our app.
What other travel tips would you share with first-time riders? Share them below!
Read More: Google Helps You Track a Train