Amtrak Riders' Best Travel Tips
We turned to seasoned Amtrak riders for their best travel tips–and they delivered some helpful advice!
From offering the best route for a first-time rider to what to do once you’re on the train, this list will come in handy any time you ride the train to one of our more than 500 destinations.
7. “It’s a lot cheaper than air travel. Just like anything you have to book in advance. I go from Portland to Illinois every year round trip for two just a little over $500, and you don’t have to pay for your luggage and don’t have the hassle of going through security. Love, love, love, the train.”
Jennifer Lehman Ludin via Facebook
6. “Unplug and enjoy the scenery completely.”
Guy Peterson via Facebook
5. “The Coast Starlight is one of the best. Always upgrade to enjoy the private first-class Parlour Car and wine & cheese tasting.”
Bill Ramage via Facebook
4. “Go on the NEC (Northeast Corridor) for sure. It’s a short enough journey to get someone acclimated with riding a train.”
Chris Barnes via Twitter
3. “When you compare cheaper fares with Amtrak to Greyhound, the ride is more comfortable, spacious, and quieter with snack bar & dining.”
Mac-the whale via Twitter
2. “Get a sleeper car when possible! The quiet is priceless!”
Bob Melloy via Facebook
1. “Try taking the Adirondack to Montreal. I did in the coldest weather and had a great time! The ride was smooth & the scenery was fantastic!”
Linda Murphy via Facebook
Want to learn more about Amtrak and our current deals and promotions? Click “Sign Up” at the top right of this page to receive information straight to your inbox!